The Salzburg Centre of European Union Studies (SCEUS) is looking for six doctoral students for its four-year doctoral program (October 2021 to September 2025). SCEUS invites applications from students of political science to research "Challenges of European Integration". More detailed information on the general framework of the doctoral program and the different research topics advertised is provided here.
Doctoral students are selected by an Admission Committee. They receive a gross monthly salary of approx. € 2.237,60 (14 x per year) according to § 26 of the wage agreement of the universities for university assistants (doctoral students). It might be higher according to the norms of the wage agreement, depending on previous employments in the specific field.
SCEUS has been established in 2005 as an interdisciplinary Centre at the University of Salzburg. Research and teaching at the Centre focus on the dynamics of European integration from political science, economic and legal perspectives. The new political science doctoral college is financed by the docfunds program of the Austrian Science Fund and builds on SCEUS’ established interdisciplinary doctoral college, financed by the Swiss Humer Foundation. SCEUS offers an excellent research environment and close supervision by our team of professors at the University of Salzburg as well as by international guest scholars. All doctoral students spend one semester at a foreign university or research institution with special expertise in their fields of research.
• Master's degree in politicalscience. The degree hasto be completed by no laterthan 30 September 2021.
• Nationality is not a criterion, internationality an asset.
• Fluency in English (working language of the doctoral college is English).
• Solid skills in political science methods and willingness to engage in further methods training.
The application should encompass (in English only)
• Letter of motivation
• A short proposal (3-5) for a dissertation project which addresses one of the advertised topics (provided here). Please indicate in the proposal for which of the advertised topics you want to apply and provide first ideas on a possible research design.
• Portfolio of 1-3 seminar papers (preferably on issues related to European integration).
• Grade report (in English or German) documenting all courses and exams the applicant has taken at his/her university and, if already available, a copy of the applicant`s master`s degree.
• Two references (i.e., names & addresses of two university professors / teachers who know the candidate).
Application and selection process:
• Applications should be submitted no later than 25 May 2021 (compiled into a single PDF File) to sceussbg.acat
• Documents have to be submitted in English.
• Applicants will be informed about the pre-selection of the Admission Committee until 11 June 2021 and selected candidates will be invited for an online interview and presentation of their research proposal towards the end of June 2021