Senior Programme Manager (div/f/m)
for our Programme Mediation and Dialogue Support (MDS)
Application deadline: 31 July 2018
The MDS Programme operates cross-regionally and works on the nexus of conceptual development and practical negotiation and mediation support. Its overall goal is to strengthen a negotiated settlement by contributing to the design of innovative dialogue and mediation formats, to assist conflict actors in enhancing their negotiation and strategy-building skills and to help establish functional peace support structures. As the Programme is constantly growing with regard to projects and staff, the Senior Programme Manager (SPrM) will support the Programme Director (PD) with financial and personnel management and in the development and implementation of the organisation’s strategic plans and policies.
The main tasks of the SPrM will encompass strategic planning, communications and partnerships, staff management, implementation of operational and financial management procedures, monitoring & evaluation and knowledge-management as well as responsibilities that aim to improve and professionalize the overall work of the Programme on all levels:
- Co-design and implement MDS Programme Strategy in line with overall Berghof Strategy co- plan and organize MDS Programme Strategy Retreats;
- Support the PD with funding diversification strategy and donor communication;
- Co-represent the Programme to the public, donors and partners;
- In coordination with in-house processes and staff, co-design and implement monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) processes on MDS level to increase efficiency and impact;
- Support the PD in project-related financial planning;
- Supervise financial and project management, including the establishment and execution of efficient project management processes and budget tracking mechanisms during project implementation;
- Serve as a mentor, coach and guide to staff: advise on professional development, design and deliver capacity building in strategic areas which enhance collaboration and knowledge transfer, provide support in managing priorities and work flow and coordinate and monitor activities and work processes to ensure that management guidelines are observed and products delivered in a timely manner;
- Track and monitor deadlines for reporting to donors, Executive Management, the Board of Trustees and Shareholders and support the PD with all necessary reporting requirements;
- Support contract management for consultants and other providers;
- Support with coordination of cross-programme collaboration and knowledge management.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Peace and Conflict Resolution, International Relations, Political Science, Social Science, Development Studies, Economics, Business Administration or similar field;
- Appropriate professional experience in project and staff management, financial management in the non-profit sector and/or with donor agencies;
- Demonstrated experience in working with guiding principles of the peacebuilding field, including Do-No-Harm, multipartiality, inclusivity and local ownership;
- Familiarity with the field of conflict transformation and prior experience in conducting mediation and dialogue processes are a strong asset;
- Professional experience in a conflict-affected and/or less developed context and ability to understand specific MDS project environments and needs;
- Proven record of practical expertise in designing and implementing monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) processes in organisations or Programmes;
- Ability to travel for shorter periods depending on project needs;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and German are required, French and/or Spanish are an asset;
- Experience in facilitating group processes;
- Strong interpersonal skills, empathy for project stakeholders and staff, and passion for the demanding and multi-faceted work in the peacebuilding field;
- Adaptability to frequently changing project requirements and needs of a diverse team.
The full-time position (40hrs/week) will be based in Berlin, Germany for a period of 24 months.
Please submit your CV and cover letter as well as diplomas, certificates and references (letters or contact information) until 31 July 2018 through our online application system below.
We look forward to receiving your application!